Distracted Driving in Washington will cost you

$136 Ticket for Driving While Using Handheld Cell Phones

Since July 23, 2017 you can be pulled over by a police officer just for using a handheld device. The first ticket will cost at least $136. A second ticket within five years will cost you at least $234.  And now these tickets will be reported on motorist reports that are available to insurance companies, probably raising your insurance premiums.


You can be pulled over for using a hand-held cell phone while driving, stopped in traffic, or at a stoplight. You’d also be violating the new law by using tablets, laptops, games, and watching videos.



Use of hand-held devices to contact emergency services is allowed under the new law.  You also can use handheld devices in your car when parked or out of the flow of traffic.

Hands-free use of devices through Bluetooth is allowed.  You can start GPS or music with a single touch by your finger, preferable before you start driving.


$99 tickets for other distractions:  If you are pulled over for another traffic offense, you can get a $99 ticket for grooming, smoking, eating, or reading if the activity interferes with safe driving.


Get all the facts, click here:


Share this postShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Recent Posts

Boating Fun includes Education Cards and Licenses

The Pacific Northwest offers countless opportunities to enjoy watercraft on beautiful lakes, rivers, and saltwater. To help keep you safe on the water, Washington State requires Boater Education cards if …

Protecting Your Income

You wouldn’t head out for a long bike ride without your helmet or for a kayak trip without your life vest.  Take your precautions a step further with disability insurance …

Enjoy your recreational vehicles worry free.

The nice sunny days are coming for us to enjoy the outdoors! If you are going to use dirt bikes, ATV’s, or motorcycles this summer give us a call to …

Why do I need PIP?

PIP stands for Personal Injury Protection, offered on your personal auto insurance. In Washington State PIP covers you and the passengers in your vehicle for any injuries sustained in an …

Find your earthquake risk level

Depending on where you live, you could be in an area with a higher possibility of having an earthquake. You can find out the likelihood that your state will have …

Seasonal Business Insurance

For winter seasonal businesses we have policies available! If you will be providing Holiday Lighting and Decorating or Snow Removal services contact us for a quote.

Snow Removal businesses can …

Vehicle customized equipment

Customized equipment is not covered by the standard auto policy.  Customization is any parts or equipment not installed by the original automobile manufacturer.  Your insurance agent can add on coverage …

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home?

Whether you live in a house, apartment or duplex, having a fire extinguisher in your home is important.   Fires can happen anywhere and at any time. Having a smoke alarm …

Your tenant needs insurance too.


As a landlord you have an insurance policy that covers your liability and house but your tenant also needs insurance to cover their liability and personal belongings. Did you …